Retreat Lane sex attack

You recent top story on the rape in Retreat Lane displayed extreme insensitivity. Especially in view of the paper’s being published just a day before International Woman’s Day, and coinciding with a number of V-Day events on campus. It is evident that little information was a vailable concerning the rape. In this situation, the article should have merely objectiviely reported the facts. I imagine that SU Welfare Officer John Rose, who thinks “people shouldn’t be worried” about recurrent attacks would be of much comfort, I will be grateful if he gives me ten minutes to recover from the rape before telling me to “become a survivor”, not a victim.

The four main authorities concerned with the case shirked responsibility for the lane where, as John Rose dismissively noted, “it’s bound to happen”. The quotes from your interviews should have been edited to remove phrases like “clutching at straws”. None of the representatives you interviewed are reported as expressing any sympathy for the student. I welcome the push for security on campus mentioned in the artlcle by Heloise Wood and Alex Stevens; I hope this is something you’ll pursue until the situation improves. I hope that such a campaign would raise consciousness about issues of rape, not least in your News Editor.

Polly Cassidy – Wentworth College