Men’s basketball produce vintage peformance to end Roses drought

York Men’s basketball team produced an outstanding second half display to beat Lancaster at Roses for the first time in seven years. Playing against a side ranked above them in BUSA, York dominated their rivals after a very closely fought first half and eventually ran out 86-63 winners.

‘The score might not look that close but it was certainly a very close match’ explained club President Simon Thomas after the match. Lancaster had led 34-33 after a tight half in which both teams produced some excellent shots and played good defence. With barely anything to separate the teams York finished strongly and produced some excellent passing to grab the win.

‘They struggled to cope with our size,’ added Thomas referring to Lancaster’s relatively short team. Subsequently Lancaster found York’s Richard Webb very difficult to cope with and he scored a number of points for the home side.

Size wasn’t the only difficulty for Lancaster who had problems throughout the match defending against York’s impressive long range shooting from outside the D which required them to defend further out whilst also having to deal with York’s height around the basket on rebounds.

Point guard Gerardo Garcia, who has been instrumental all season for York, was in superb form, whilst Captain Stefan Kuhner also put in a match-winning performance as York’s top scorer.

He was very happy with his side’s performance after the game describing how York had ‘really wanted it because we knew we had a great chance to beat Lancaster this year.’ For him it was ‘the perfect end to the perfect season’ as York added a very special Roses victory to success in BUSA and the local Leeds league this year.