Leslie returns Carter-James trophy with emphatic win

York cruise to fourth Roses win in five years after 159.5 to 91.5 point victory over rivals

York’s sportsmen and women exceeded even their own expectations as they crushed their Lancastrian rivals by a massive 159.5 points to 91.5 to ensure that the Carter-James trophy was returned to the White Rose after an enthralling weekend of sport.

York led comfortably for almost the entirety of the tournament and never looked back as they wrapped up a memorable Roses victory on Sunday morning with many of the main team fixtures still remaining. The score was 107-65 overnight on Saturday and with numerous successes for the home team in the rowing competition on Sunday morning the home team quickly ensured a huge win.
‘I’m absolutely over the moon, it’s been an incredible day,’ said ecstatic AU President Stuart Leslie after the trophy ceremony. ‘Even though the lead was so big I still couldn’t believe it when we finally clinched it and I was relieved more than anything else,’ he added. ‘People from the clubs had been asking me the score all through the weekend and I almost didn’t want to tell them in case they got too complacent and went out and celebrated prematurely on Saturday before their fixtures.’

It was a huge winning margin in the end for York who continued to pick up big points in the matches on Sunday afternoon to produce an impressive final total. The statisticians might have dived into the archives to see if this would go down as a record win, but this was not the case given that Lancaster had previously beaten York by over 100 points in both 1994 and 1996. However it still remains one of the largest deficits in recent memory, especially given that Roses 2002 came down to a single point.

This victory continues York’s superb run of Roses results since the turn of the century which has seen the White Rose claim victory in four of the last five contests, and this was easily the most comfortable yet with a York triumph never in doubt at any stage over the three days.

For AU President elect Nik Engineer ‘Roses is all about moments; the moments when you clinch that victory, or the moments when you take part in Roses for the last time, and we’ve won this weekend because we’ve had better moments. It’s brilliant isn’t it.’

This years Roses was filled with so many highlights for York, from the flawless victories gained by the archery and badminton clubs, down to the impressive dominance of the home team in both hockey and rowing. This all culminated in the Men’s Football 1sts clash which provided two goals in the dying minutes for a dramatic finale to the whole tournament.