Home win after tense badminton finale

York men’s badminton team were triumphant in the final match of a thrilling contest on Friday. In what proved to be a successful evening, maximum points were picked up by York’s men’s and women’s doubles against a determined but weaker Lancaster opposition.

Victory must have proved a major relief for the men’s team, who looked comfortable at 3-1 up with straight set victories in the second, third and fourth games. But a superb fifth game, in which Lancaster edged a nail-biting third set (15-13), gave the opposition confidence.

Suddenly the Lancastrian followers began to chant, and the pressure was on York. The York pairing of Chakravarti and Baxter won a fascinating match (15-7, 15-10) to level the scores at 4-4 and set up a tense deciding match. However, a weary Lancaster pair failed to reproduce the dogged displays which had helped Lancaster to get back into the match. Instead they wilted, handing York victory, and the points.

While the crowd’s attention was firmly placed on the men’s badminton, it was York’s women who should take a large share of the glory. A brilliant start to the summer term has seen them win promotion to the Premiership North division for the first time in their history. Captained by Katie Marchbank, the team played with undoubted confidence and style to overcome the opposition.

Lancaster were forced into making basic errors by the aggressive style which the York women played. And if it wasn’t for the rejuvenated team spirit of Lancaster following the men’s successes it seemed highly likely that a whitewash victory was on the cards. However this wasn’t to be as Lancaster grabbed a consilatory 15-7 and 15-5 win to end the match at 8-1.