Hockey redeem last years Roses failure

York hockey club epitomised the spirit that characterised this years Roses victory for the White Rose as they spectacularly reversed last years string of defeats by dominating the hockey fixtures this time around.

AU President Stuart Leslie acknowledged the magnitude of this feat as he gave the hockey club a special mention in his speech at Sunday’s awards ceremony.

York managed to take an incredible 20 of the available 26 points in the hockey fixtures, some of the most passionately fought matches in the tournament.

The Mens 3rds were the only team to suffer defeat, with the Mens 1sts picking up an excellent 4-1 victory and the Mixed 1sts destroying Lancaster 12-0. The Women’s 1sts and 2nds both managed draws as York proved themselves difficult to beat in stark contrast with their performance this time last year when poor defending let Lancaster run away with the points.

The indoor matches produced some thrilling moments for the spectators that packed out the viewing platform. The Men’s and Women’s 1sts both saw off their rivals in extremely close games, 4-3 and 3-2 respectively, whilst the other indoor games were predominantly drawn.