York cruise to easy victory in inaugural Varsity with St. John

WITH 950 students queueing outside Toffs nightclub for the Varsity party on Wednesday 16th February, it had clearly been a day to be proud of for AU President Stuart Leslie. To make the day even better York ran out 44-32 winners to plant a large trophy onto the desk of the AU President.

Reflecting on a day which he felt went very smoothly, Leslie applauded the responsibility taken on by the individual clubs as the main reason for the organisational success of the event. However, it remains to be seen whether or not the Varsity will have proved popular enough to become a permanent fixture in future years with the arrival of new AU Presidents at both universities. Leslie though hinted that he “would be surprised if it did not become an annual event.”

The idea behind the White Rose Varsity, was to introduce a winter “taster” event to the calendar as a small scale warmup competition before Roses in May. Eight clubs competed from both York University and York St John. matches were played across the two campuses and were followed by an awards party at Toffs nightclub.

The day’s proceedings began in the badminton courts, as York University’s largest sports society took comfortable victories in both the Women and Men’s games, winning 7- 2 and 9-0 respectively. Despite such a good start to the day, St John fought back well with victories in all four of the Men’s football matches and the all important Rugby 1sts fixture, backed up with good victories in the Women’s Hockey and Basketball. However, as expected, York University came through at the end of the day to snatch victory against their rivals.