York celebrities join the campaign

Wristbands are currently in the height of fashion on campus and, whether they’re a statement about a cancer charity or a bullying campaign, most students seem to be wearing them. The student protest group People and Planet therefore had to enlist the help of a few well-known faces to make their latest campaign, Make Poverty History, as striking as possible.

Member of People and Planet, David Jones, explained: “We were looking to publicise the Make Poverty History campaign in a fun way. We had a number of wrist-bands left over and the idea of dressing various statues in town with them was presented by a friend.”

The protest group spent an afternoon decorating statues around York, sometimes having to scale ten foot high walls to reach the wrists of famous figures.

Jones believes that their efforts have been worthwhile, commenting: “Anything that helps bring attention to the plight of those suffering in developing nations can only help; and highlighting what we can do about it, by directing people towards a specific protest or cause is even better.”

People and Planet have also confirmed their plans to bring the campaign to campus. Beth Stewart, explained: “We want to get white bands into Your:Shop and try and get some famous speakers to talk at the university.”

Stewart revealed that the growing trend of wearing wristbands as a fashion accessory is helping their latest cause: “The idea of wearing them is expressing your belief. It’s a visual show of support. It is very much a trend – nobody can argue that – but representing a cause in this way can only be good.”