Dodgeball proves to be a hit amongst York students

28 TEAMS from across the university decided to ‘Grab Life by the Ball’ in a dodgeball charity event organised by the Athletic Union to support the British Heart Foundation. With record participation in a charity event of this kind, it would seem that the sport has been a hit amongst the university’s sports clubs.

“We’ve had some amazing feedback on the event,” said AU Vice-president Nik Engineer, who organised the tournament. “So much so that I’ve had people calling for a Dodgeball club and even a league!” More than 220 competitors paid to take part, and a further 60 spectators turned up to watch the event which has banked £300 for the charity of the year so far. “I couldn’t believe the response,” added Nik, “but I knew the tournament was going to be a success as soon as I saw the mayhem inside the sports centre at the start, and the atmosphere of the very first game.”

Engineer was keen to praise those who helped to make the tournament such a success. “Martha Varney did a great job with the posters, and I’ve got to thank Colin Smith for letting us have the hall free of charge and also being such a good sport in entering a team” he stressed.

The Mens Football team were the eventual winners after they beat ‘Mean Peace’ from the environment department in the final. After the popularity of the event, Engineer is planning another tournament for the beginning of next term, and Andy Day of the football team has vowed that his team would return to defend their title.

(Luke Chiverton – Sports Editor)