Costcutter you’ve poisoned us

A packet of Fruit Pastilles for £1.09? Own-brand ham, unblessed by the Matteson’s seal of quality, for £1.59? A packet of pasta (just too much for one, but nowhere near enough for two, of course) for a penny shy of £2.00? A packet of Rizla for 70p and Candy Sticks for 20 pence? You know the answer. Say it together now: Costcutters!

“But now, students of York University, there’s another item to add to the list – we at Costcutter have gone all out this time to really hit you where it hurts – carcinogens! Free with a Pot Noodle or a packet of Worcester Sauce crisps! Yours for less than 40p and cheap at twice the price! They’ve been outlawed by the Department of Health but we’re putting our necks on the line just so that you, our valued customers, can have the widest choice possible!”

I made that quote up of course. No employee of Costcutter has yet managed to get over their intense self-hatred from shafting us students with their hugely extortionate prices that they’ve physically beenable to look another human in the eye and address them with actual words. But I thought that the management’s plot was only to bankrupt the University’s students so we’d get desperate enough to work there. I had no idea that they were trying to kill us all.

That products with the cancer causing dye Sudan-1 were found in both Costcutters is absolutely ridiculous. Considering the size of the corporation and its supplier, Nisa Foods, not to mention the size of the controversy surrounding this story, the offending products should have been off the shelves months ago.

Neither branch has lived up to what the Food Standards Agency calls its “legal responsibility to withdraw the affected products from sale” at a time when this story has been receiving great press coverage.

Have their managers been living in the store cupboard for the past few months, living off Twixes? Someone should really knock on the door, pry the Starmix out of their hands and tell them to put some clothes on, then point out that a public health crisis has been taking place.

Because, frankly, either they are totally ignorant of the story or they have a worryingly low regard for British law and, oh yes, the health of their customers.

It took me only a couple of trips to Costcutter to realise that it was taking advantage of its position as the sole real food shop on campus; but selling contaminated food at risk to public health is more than I ever imagined even this shoddy organisation could manage.