AU Edge – With AU President Stuart Leslie

Our flagship Roses weekend is set to take centre stage on the sporting calendar. Indeed the competition has already begun. Although we suffered a defeat in the skiing last Wednesday, come May 6th, this precursor turns into a major spectacle. The remaining 241 points are fiercely contested as Lancaster challenge our sporting elite across campus, in an attempt to retain the Carter-James Trophy they captured from York in 2004 for the first time since 1986. Roses 2005 is shaping up to be an epic battle. We have a substantial deficit to make up from twelve months ago; after the 145 – 107 win for the Red Rose, although home advantage cannot be underestimated, and it is this factor that leaves aspiring pundits rendering this year’s competition too close to call.

Over forty different sports will be played across the three days of competition. Come Sunday evening, whether celebrating or commiserating, there will not be a Lancastrian or Yorkie who returns home without a voice hoarse from a weekend packed full of cheering.

But whilst the main focus rests on the sporting passions, rivalries, and memorable, nailbiting matches, what elevates the Roses euphoria to an even higher peak are the surrounding social aspects to the weekend.

Both Friday and Saturday nights see a multitude of revelries available. Friday night demands a visit to Megabowl, home of the Roses Pool, Darts and Tenpin Bowling events. For £7 there is a night of bowling, as well as drinks offers and free transport to and from campus.

There is also the Roses Ball on the Saturday night. Next Generation has the honour of hosting this event, and we have secured the services of Edith Bowman for this evening, to lead the celebrations on the main stage. Tickets for this event cost £13, and sales start from Week 1 of the Summer Term.

Other non-competitive aspects to this year’s competition include a fun run, the fete on Saturday afternoon, parachute jumps, a community Rounders tournament to link in with the Sports Volunteer Programme, as well as several exhibition events, ranging from Korfball to Futsal. I am also confident that the beer tent set up on 22 acres for the weekend will do a fair amount of trade.

With Greg Dyke’s attendance confirmed, as well as a significant alumni presence all round, the Roses 2005 competition carries greater prestige than ever. Immerse yourself in the splendour of the weekend. As a spectacle there is simply no other University experience like it.