Student killed on Hull Road after evening out

BETHANY GALE, a second year Biochemistry student, was killed on Hull Road last Sunday, the 27th of February, after being knocked down by a car at a pelican crossing.

Police are urging any students who may have witnessed the accident to contact them and have confirmed that their inquiries into the death are still ongoing.

Bethany was knocked thirty yards into the road’s central reservation by the collision and died at the scene. Her boyfriend Tom Asquith was also hit and was treated by paramedics for twenty minutes before being taken to York City Hospital.

He is still receiving treatment in hospital for lower leg injuries.

The pair tried to cross the road near the junction at Pinelands Way on Sunday evening following a meal at a nearby pub.

They were struck at 8.20pm by a red Citroen Saxo which was heading towards the A64 from York city centre.

The male driver, who was alone in the car, sustained serious head injuries from the accident and is currently being treated at Leeds General Infirmary.

Police closed Hull Road between Badger Hill and Field Lane after the incident while crime investigators examined the wreckage of the car, which had crashed into a set of traffic lights after hitting the pedestrians. It is not yet known whether the traffic light at the crossing was red when the collision took place.

Bethany’s supervisor, Dr Vera Knauper, commented on the tragedy: “This has come as a terrible shock to everyone here. She was a charming and gifted student, well-liked by everybody.”

Bethany’s two sisters, Catherine and Joanne, revealed she was very passionate about her studies at York. Bethany had recently won a year-long placement with one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies, AstraZeneca, as part of her degree course and dreamed of winning a Nobel Prize.

Her sisters explained she was a popular, fun-loving person who “wanted to make a difference” through science.

Bethany was also a keen member of the University’s Cave and Potholing club where she had many close friends. The club expressed their sadness at the news, commenting: “Beth was a wonderful, energetic person. She had a great sense of presence and was universally loved.

“It was a privilege to have her in the club and we shall always feel her loss.”

Police are still waiting to talk to Asquith and the driver about the accident. “Both men are still in hospital and are currently not in a state to talk to us about the incident. We hope to talk to them as soon as their conditions improve”, a spokesperson said.