Ye Olde Star Inn, Stonegate

This pub despite its name actually doesn’t contain any stars at all, but I wasn’t going to let that ruin my experience. Ye Olde Starre Inne is set off on an alley way on the same road as pubs like the Punch Bowl, and although it doesn’t quite have its ‘dog in front of the fire’ homeliness, The Inne is still very welcoming- and also somewhat less busy.

There is a plethora of rooms to choose from to sit down with your drink or food, including one with deceivably comfy looking red high back chairs – beware! And even a non-smoking area. The food menu is what you’d expect from a typical pub. They serve a delicious steak and stilton pie – with what I believe was home-made pastry, it’s the kind of meal where you’d be proud of having eaten all the pie!

Having said that, the melted cheese and bacon baguette was not of such a high standard, and did not even meet my expectations of pub food. But, as far as value for money goes, you can’t go wrong with a baked potato with various toppings.

The service isn’t as fast as the likes of Burger King or your local Doner van but I think it’s worth the long wait, which can leave you feeling especially uncomfortable on those high backed chairs. Despite this inconvenience, the service with a smile and the food do, on the whole, make up for it; especially when you can get a proper chef-made meal for about the same price as a lump of miscellaneous meat on a turning stick.