Tiger Tiger, Leeds

Only half an hour by train, and quite a bit longer by car, due to the inevibility of getting lost, Leeds offers so much more to the braver and more experimental gastronomic pioneer. Fed up with even Derwent bar’s Mexican menu, I set off to see what Leeds had to offer.

Whether you want a quick drink, a snack or a slap up meal, Tiger Tiger is ideal. The minute you enter you feel you have left the provinvial behind and seem to acquire some of the trendy coolness that this wonderful venue eminates. With a selection of rooms to choose from, we ended up taking refuge in a cavernous alcove, which, added to the sense of adventure which comes from straying from home.

We could not have picked a better time to go. Arriving just as ‘Happy Hour’ began (from 5pm to 7:30), with all bar food half price and fancy cocktails reduced to £2.50, we splashed out on two Tiger Tiger special platters. Costing £14 between us, they were enough for four, laden with potato wedges, satay chicken, spring rolls, samosas, pizza baguettes and an array of different sauces and flavours. It was a veritable feast, and washed down with such delights as chocolate orange martinis and eye of the tiger, we were sated and happy. Absolutely nothing can be said against the food, atmosphere or service of Tiger Tiger, the prices are reasonable, even when it is not Happy Hour, or when it is lunch and puddings are a pound. Students of York: be courageous, go to Leeds and experience the exotic.