Squash Five Take York and District League Title

On Sunday 7th March the men’s squash team capped a hugely successful season by clinching the championship of their division of the York and District local league. Their match against Pocklington was a crucial decider, with only a few points separating both teams.

After a shaky start, when Nik Engineer lost a tightly fought game, victories by Simon Grundy, Dan Kaiser and Niall Woodger ensured York triumphed convincingly over their rivals. The final score was 16-7, earning York promotion.

Simon Grundy, captain of the York team, was delighted with the victory, “we have been very fortunate this year to have such a reliable and solid squad with a fantastic team spirit. This season has seen a dramatic turnabout from last year’s form with the first team going from strength to strength.”

The achievements of the men’s team were mirrored by those of the women’s. After winning a tight game against Dunnington, York finished fourth in their division, with Alison Cubbins continuing her excellent run of 100% victories this season. Looking to next term’s competition captain Gemma Ware stated, “with such a dedicated and strong set of players this year there is no reason why we should not be just as successful.”

The club is also looking forward to this Easter’s Luxembourg tour, where twelve members of the team will be playing against the country’s junior national side.

With such a successful season behind them, the team are eager to avenge last year’s defeat against Lancaster at the Roses.