New AU President Talks to nouse

On my second election night as a candidate, excitedly yet nervously anticipating the results, I was overjoyed to experience a glorious déjà vu from twelve months previous.

My opponent Tristan was a pleasure to run against, fighting a fair and admirable campaign, with the high AU turnout a testament to the commitment all the candidates have shown to furthering sport at the university for next year.

AU Hustings last Tuesday was a fascinating spectacle, as the questions from the floor seemed to reflect clubs’ concerns with the accessability and openness within the union. Consequently improving the AU’s approachability and accountability will have to be a primary aim in the coming year.

As I said throughout my campaign, my main focus will begin with improving the website and keeping it up to date, seeking business sponsorship, offering better facilities, general efficiency and crucially sports development, but in all honesty I currently see a plethora of areas that could be infinitely improved. When July first comes I genuinely have no idea how I’ll be able to tear myself away from the AU Office at night!

Organising a home Roses to match the event the AU produced in 2003 is a challenge I truly relish, though in the meantime winning in 2004 has to be a major priority for all those representing the white rose!

I am looking forward to shifting focus in my AU work from college to university sport, and know that in Nik Engineer I have an experienced and devoted successor taking over the job of Vice-President. I would also like to extend many congratulations to Rachel Stanford and William Harmer, AU Secretary and Treasurer respectively, both of whom I am honoured to have on my committee for next year.

Keeping myself on for a 2:1 now needs significant work, so I expect to be involved considerably less in sport over the next few weeks. And if you believe that you’ll believe anything…