College Sport on Knife Edge

As the second term of this year comes to an end and college sport is winding down for a well-deserved break, the exact opposite is happening in the final weeks of this years Men’s 1st team college football competition.

Sunday the 14th of March saw the crunch match between Langwith and Halifax, in typical fashion the game was fought with great passion and aggression and Halifax looked by far the stronger side in the first twenty-five minutes with captain Nick Hatfield and Tom Moore bossing the Langwith three-man centre midfield partnership. Immense pressure from Halifax, and some desperately close shots from the infamous college striker ‘Papa’, Langwith forced a corner at the other end of the field. The corner kick was fired across the Halifax eighteen yard box by Matt Smith and after being headed to the edge of the area by Halifax centre-half Tom Ball, the Universities 1st team winger and Langwith attacking midfielder James Glisson hit a toe poke that flew viciously into the Halifax goal after central defender Steve Edwards threw himself at the ball in a desperate attempt to stop the shot. After taking the lead Langwith then started to dominate the game.

Langwith kept it tight at the back giving Dan Williams and ‘Papa’ no space when the ball was played into feet. As the game drew to an end, Halifax were getting desperate and excellent crosses from Pete White and Jason Cornish along with amazing runs from Nick Hatfield were met with lofty clearances and a succession of fouls. As the final whistle blew, Langwith were very gracious in victory and Halifax in defeat, and a brutal game concluded with congratulations and handshakes from both sides demonstrating how college sport should be played, with a combination of competitiveness and sportsmanship.

In the wider college sport league Vanbrugh found their spring lead levelled by their main rival’s Langwith to 80 points a piece last Sunday after finishing three points behind the college in the tag rugby tournament meaning that Langwith have now shaved Vanbrugh’s overall league lead to half a point.