Book Review: Midnight Cab

We meet Walker Devereux as he is on his way to Toronto to find his birth mother, or at least some information about her and why she left him at the side of a country road when he was three years old. He, and his new found love Krista, travel together trying to find and follow the clues that will lead to that one thing we are all looking for: The Truth, all the time being inexplicably followed and left rather nasty threats. As this story unfolds, so does that of Bobby’s early childhood in the 1960s and ‘70s. Bobby is what we would call a somewhat disturbed and lonely child, who from a young age struggles with homosexual feelings and a violent, almost murderous, tendency.

From very early on it is easy to see the similarities between these two characters and of course they are linked in someway, otherwise James Nichol wouldn’t spend so long going into each person’s fight for survival, as one might call it.

Nichol is praised to the heavens by his fellow Canadians and when it comes to his descriptions of Bobby I am intrigued and impressed. He shows us how obsessions can grow with devastating effects if they are not reigned in. I would recommend it to those who enjoy mild thrillers and stories where its always fun trying to guess how the characters are linked.