Book Review: gone Bamboo

The opening scene of 'Gone Bamboo' was intended by Anthony Bourdain to be witty and humorous however I'm afraid the amazing opening he was going for was no where near as funny as it could have been and neither, come to think of it, was the rest of this book. The cross-dressing gangster, as you might expect, was more worrying than it was amusing. Was this just making a statement rather than a joke?

Mafioso Jimmy Pazz is not a new character to me having read other gangster books, the fact that he dresses in blue and green tartan dress with amethyst drop earrings is unusual I'll grant you, but he is a tiered character from every other gangster film or book I've come across. And While Bourdain's language is trying to be short and punchy to fit in with his cool, modern storyline it ends up being slightly mundane and difficult to sustain much interest in.

All in all 'Gone Bamboo' was a good book to read if you have a week of nothing to do and can't be bothered with anything which requires any great amount of concentration.

If you're looking for a book which is going to make you howl with laughter and test your mental capacities then this book is definitely not for you. If, on the other hand, you want a mind-numbing disappointment, then you might well enjoy it!