York Debutant trampoliner qualifies for national final

After making her competitive trampolining debut at the Northern Regionals on Sunday, first year York student Jess Edgington fought off the competition to land herself into the national finals to be held at Reading on 7th March.

Competing in the Women’s intermediate category Edgington’s performance placed her in the top ten in the North, and led trampolining President Jenny Archibald to comment that “such a performance when you are representing your university for the first time is amazing. Her technique was easily ahead of the competition and has placed her well to make a strong showing in Reading.”

While York’s advanced team had a weak performance, with Tom Doey being disqualified from the Men’s category for an “unorthodox” technique, Edgington will be accompanied to Reading by two other member of the York squad after John Duffell battled with 117 other competitors in the Men’s Novice category to land himself 9th place, and Matthew Porter made the trio taking the same spot in the Men’s Intermediate.

The BUSA event held at York every year, fell victim however to a formal protest, which was later rejected, as Loughborough attacked the judges’ decision to penalise a Women’s Intermediate competitor for an incorrect execution of a straddle jump> Archibald was keen to state that the protest was not personal, “we’ve managed to keep good relations, the problem was resolved without any feelings being hurt in the process”.

Meanwhile injury was just avoided when a Birmingham competitor somersaulted out of the protected zone around the trampoline, crashing on to the hard court floor, escaping the fall with only light bruising to her right arm.

Jenny Archibald found her own performance at this year’s event hampered somewhat by the sheer organisation of around 270 competitors and judges, finishing 37th in her category, “It’s been a long day and somebody ran over my toe, I haven’t gone to bed in days” she commented to nouse. Tired but elated, Archibald was keen to show her gratitude to the committee who helped run the event, “We’ve been blagging it most of the way and we made it, we even had a team making around 300 sandwiches, and have successfully put on the biggest event in the North.”

The prestige of the fixture is set to increase as Archibald told nouse “I’m finding myself planning for next year already, and am keen to boost our reputation as the biggest venue for the sport”. She is planning the introduction of further events, such as the ‘double mini-tramp’ in which the competitor somersaults across two trampolines, performing a multitude of mid-air twists and combinations.