The Student Counsel

takes a student’s problem and probes it from all angles

Our Panel

The Old Timer – A cornish man with many a pearl of wisdom
The Hippy – Perpetually happy but too stoned to comment
The Luvvie – Profundities and dramatic flouncing a speciality

Dear nouse,

After 10 years I am having a major career, well, lifestyle change. Me and five of my best “friends” have worked closely together over the last 10 years and our careers and friendships have grown over that time. At the moment, our careers are blooming and we are at what could be considered the top of our professions and have been there for a long time. However, we have all agreed that the time has come to move on. Whilst I know that it is good to leave on a high, I am starting to wonder, as the end comes closer, how I am going to manage without them and worry that I may not find that level of achievement or satisfaction in future job opportunities or, more importantly, that sense of contentment I currently have in my life. What can I do to cope while making this difficult change?
Joseph T

Be Brave Darling
Firstly, who knows what the future may hold and who’s to say whether this decision you’re making will be one you will look back on and regret or not. Times like these are what make life interesting…albeit sometimes a little too interesting! However, life changing decisions such as yours are rarely ever easy and sometimes we do make the wrong choices. In life, it’s not how many times you fall down, but how many times you get back up that count, (cliché number 1!). Obviously, you have reached a point in your life where you feel secure and happy – ironically, it is usually at this point when things happen to change and all of a sudden your world can turn upside down and you can find yourself confused and unsure of where you’re heading in life! If you do happen to find yourself in this situation…don’t worry – (cliché warning!) everything will be alright in the end, and if it isn’t alright…it probably isn’t the end. There are always options. Career wise, it sounds as if your line of work is fairly insecure which probably means that it is harder for you to view the change more positively as you are unsure of where your next job opportunity lies. In this case, it is important for you to make sure that you don’t close any doors and think seriously about any prospects that come your way, even if they are not something you would have perhaps considered before. Everything happens for a reason (and there’s another!), and what might seem like a wrong decision at first could open the door to a whole new set of possibilities.

Retire Like Me
The old cliché comes into play here; a change is as good as a rest!! The hardest part is over with…you’ve all made the decision to move on and although the initial transition may seem difficult, you’re over the hill and it’s pretty much all downhill from here!! You are not losing you’re friends; you are simply all moving on to new stages in your lives. Just because you may not be spending as much time with them as you were, doesn’t mean you can’t be as big a part of their lives as you have been. I think the fear can be that once you are out of their vision you’ll be forgotten…but, if they are true friends this will not be the case. In fact, you often don’t realise how much something means to you until it is not around as much, so it may be that this separation actually strengthens your relationship. Plus, when you do all get together you will probably appreciate each others company much more.