Catherine Millet, The Sexual Life of Catherine M

Having never heard of ‘The Sexual Life of Catherine M.’ before reading it I had no idea what to expect from this book. Don’t get me wrong, the title was a bit of a give away but it does not fully prepare you for the journey. The honesty with which Catherine Millet writes about her sexual encounters is disarming , she does not shy away from any subjects and there is absolutely no tentativeness or embarrassment about the information she is sharing.

The aggressive style is necessary for the honest and candid perspective of the book, and the author is not willing to tone it down. The book is written in a conversational manner, almost like you’re talking about sex with a close friend. In no way is Catherine M boasting about her sexual experiences. or looking for absolution from her readers. She is merely sharing her experiences with us, almost in a ‘Bill Bryson’ manner, except her experiences are sexual. When read with an open mind it is a book that can be both exciting and titillating for the reader. Even if its not your idea of an amazing book it will definitely leave a long lasting impact on the reader. If you’re anything like me you won’t be able to put this book down until you’ve savoured every last delicious word written by this remarkable and unusual woman. Highly recommended.