The Zutons, Leeds Rocket

Scouse accents: Check. Infectious melodies: Check. Crazy noisy bits: Check. Working with Ian Broudie in the studio: Check. Yes, The Zutons are from Liverpool, yet you can add much more to this list of Merseyside music requisites, for unlike The Bandits, The Stands and a whole host of others, they have broken out of Liverpool with more than just a bag of weed and a sixties song book. This is a band that match The Coral is scope and stature – no mean feat. Theirs is a potent, heady brew of sounds that stretches well beyond the Love lovin’ limits of their fellow city men, an intoxicating mix of soul, funk, country and jazz. A proper rock n roll band, tonight they get Leeds Rocket moving with their skanking grooves, aided in no small part by saxophonist Abi Harding who adds a unique sleazy-city feel to the usual guitar, bass and drums combo. Aha, a band who look beyond the stab-myself-in-the-eye obvious. Opening with the brilliant ‘Zuton Fever’ they hypnotize the audience; ‘Creepin’ and a Crawlin’ and new single ‘Pressure Point’ being particular highlights in a spellbinding set that is without a weak tune. No more words so time for the hyperbole and cheesy pay off – Buy the single, buy the album, go and see them next time round and catch the Zuton fever before it catches you. Boss.