James’ Lead Wavers

AU Vice President on this years inter-College tournament

A new season of College Sport has dawned, with the 7 main colleges doing battle over the next 8 months to see who will reach the summit and taste glory at the AU Dinner in June.

Halifax have had a strong start to the year, with promising results in football, table-tennis, basketball and, badminton, where they possess the greatest strength in depth, proved by a mix-up in the captaincy arrangement.

Some of this enthusiasm would be better-directed just 100 yards away on the Astroturf in hockey, where the college failed to raise a side in Week 2, and also in Volleyball, where sports rep Lucy Horitz noted that the players are ‘not used to working as a team yet’. Horitz though also commented on their ‘devastating amount of talent in squash’.

In Langwith, there is still a fantastic sense of team unity shining through, especially in volleyball and football. Sports Rep Rachel Snook is also hoping to inject ‘a sense of team spirit’ into Derwent with the introduction of new t-shirts; it is this kind of enthusiasm that may lift the college from its disappointing occupancy of the wooden spoon position.

Alcuin Sports Rep Anna Thornton has drawn on positive results in football and badminton, however she is somewhat concerned by an apparent ‘struggle to motivate the freshers’ to participate at present.

College Football has seen something of a renaissance so far this year, and with qualified referees now adjudicating every fixture, the controversies that have plagued the matches in past seasons should now occur less frequently. Vanbrugh have once again proved themselves to be at the pinnacle of sport, highlighted by an impressive 3-0 victory against Langwith on Sunday Week 3. An abundant crop of freshers should allow Vanbrugh to consolidate on their impressive second place finish in the 2002-3 competition.

Old adversaries James and Goodricke have already clashed in 1sts Football, where the latter ran out winners in a 4-3 thriller. Goodricke are starting the year at a snail’s pace though, suffering a heavy 5-2 defeat to Derwent in darts, as well as a disappointing prelude to the campaign in basketball.

Reigning champions James have had a shaky start to the defence of their title, coming unstuck in Table-Tennis and beginning with two defeats in Football. Even a spirited Basketball performance against Halifax could not prevent a beating.

Whatever your college, whatever your sport, competition is a fantastic way to get involved in a competitive, friendly environment. It is an excellent way to meet people, and, with 23 sports to choose from over the year, there is something to suit anyone’s tastes.