York Topple Favourites

It might have been only the following weekend after the Roses, but York Basketball are still crowing about their 55 – 36 win over Aire in the Leeds League, tell us why

It was the final game of a long, tiring season that had been full of mixed fortune. The glamorous venue of Batley Sports Centre awaited the Leeds Men’s League Cup Final. York University were up against the only team to have finished higher than them in the league. Leeds based team, Aire had not lost a single game all season and so stormed away with the league championship. They were looking for a double-winning success. But York had other plans.

This is where our success came from, our planning. The Friday night training session before the final was filled with defensive strategy and practice in order to combat Aire’s main threat, their huge centre (reportedly 7"10).

George ‘Shandaras’ Skandaras must take particular credit for preparing the team for the match as we effectively shut out Aire’s offence, giving them very few easy chances to score. Skandaras, was player/coach on the day and has since taken up the role of captain. Praise must also go to James Reilly(11 points), Dom Schultens (10 points), and an inspired contribution by the new men’s president Rob Edwards (3 points). In a low scoring match, such as this, these points were invaluable.

But overall the story of the match was that our defence was simply too good for Aire to beat. The overall team performance was unbelievable and a fitting last game for long-standing player Greg Perry (4 years) who put in yet another huge effort to help win us the game.

Basketball are holding their annual 3 on 3 Charity Tournament this Friday 6 – 10pm. All proceeds go towards the AU charity of the year, The Lord Taverner’s. If you would like to enter a team please email mtc104 for more details.