Langwith Lead Futsal

Langwith’s strong performance sees them unchallenged in the week 6 Futsal Tournament

With the extremely successful debut of last term’s college Futsal, the way was paved for a repetition of the exhibition tricks and stunning goals displayed in the previous tournament, writes Will Gaskell. The traditional inter-college rivalries were obvious with each college putting out a strong squad of players in an attempt to wrestle the Futsal crown from last term’s winners, Alcuin.

Vanbrugh started brightly; their large contingent of University footballers proving too much for Goodricke as they took a 1-0 win. However, the impressive Langwith soon cruised into the lead as they won their first two games comfortably, improving greatly on their performance in the previous tournament. The surprise package this term was last year’s winners, Alcuin. Despite fielding the same talented personnel, the organisation and excellent interplay of the last tournament seemed to be lacking as Alcuin failed to win any of their matches on the day. James kept up their usual high standards managing to remain unbeaten in the tournament, with Tom Edwards and captain Scott Manford pushing the team forward. Unfortunately James were not able to turn their excellent play into points, winning only two of their games, but still managing to take second place overall in the tournament. Derwent’s disappointing display last term was far behind them as they fielded a much stronger team, which greatly improved as the tournament went on. Michael Flood was particularly impressive, scoring an excellent goal in their 4-2 defeat of Vanbrugh. Derwent again showed their class with 2-2 draws against rivals James and Goodricke, as they came from behind to finish third on the day.

As the tournament progressed many teams began to draw making it difficult to predict which side would be the eventual winners. Before long though Langwith began to pull further ahead of the competition, with captain and player of the tournament, Matt Smith scoring an average of two goals a game. The convincing 3-0 victory over Alcuin, and 3-1 victories over Derwent and Vanbrugh, showed the quality of the Langwith side as they cruised to a well-deserved victory in the tournament with two games to spare.