Flamboyant Alcuin fall to Goodricke

While skill may have been sporadic in the college volleyball, it was not without its highlights

James 2 – 0 Derwent
Halifax 2 – 0 Langwith
Goodricke 2 – 0 Alcuin

James’ strength in the college league was evident again as they convincingly beat Derwent 2 sets to none, writes Dan Phillips, while the Langwith v Halifax game’s pace was far from engaging. The opening set illustrated a lack of communication on the Langwith side with their main tactic consisting of the ball landing in between the feet of two players. In the absence of team play, Langwith were reduced to contending decisions by the ref. The increasingly contorted faces of derision on the Langwith players led to a sideline remark of, "its all a part of a conspiracy against Langwith in College Sport". A well placed smash by Halifax ended the set 25 – 6.

Langwith managed to keep in the game in the second set, drawing ahead initially after a series of weak plays by Halifax. Halifax rallied round with strong serves, wittling the Langwith lead down to level pegging at 11 – 11. The weaknesses of both teams were evident with the increased use of feet costing points whilst Halifax’s communication broke down toward the end of the set, but the team saw this as more comedy than catastrophe. The level set was finally concluded by strong serves by Halifax bringing the victory.

The following game of Goodricke vs Alcuin had a marked improvement on the last with a more genuine team effort on both sides. Goodricke’s Andrew Walker had a strong game throughout, with his reach at the net edging the game away from Alcuin concluding the first set 25 – 12.

The weakness of Alcuin’s calls dogged them in the early part of the second set, but sacrificial attempts by David Holmes to keep the ball in play inspired the team to level the scores, whilst smashes by William Lawrenson put the ball through Goodricke’s back court. The reply by Walker gave Goodricke a short lead, only to be reigned in again by Lawrenson’s explosive serves. Alcuin’s grip on the game collapsed shortly after this with the calling problems re-emerging and frustration setting in. While Holmes’ intelligent backward shot at the net confused Goodricke enough to steal the point, Goodricke eventually emerged the victor.