Brass is best

City’s first lady, Director Sophie McGill tells about their choice

The wreckage that Douglas Craig’s reign at City left gave the Supporter’s Trust, the new Directors, the most difficult task at the close of the season : bringing the losses into check through the sacking of the most loyal players and staff throughout its woes. McGill’s comment that, "It’s a difficult term ‘sacked’" showed her discomfort with the harsh reality of turfing out Dolan, but she revealed to nouse that the decision for a player-manager was almost dictated to them by the economic reality, "we looked at the finances, and we would be saving six figures with a player-manager".

The Supporter’s Trust hasn’t left Terry Dolan and his assistant Adie Shaw up shit’s creek, keeping them on the payroll for their respective twelve and six month notices, stating that " it was the most honourable thing for us to do".

The choice of Brass as the replacement for Dolan was as obvious to Sophie as it was surprising to him, especially after his performance this season, "over the past year its become apparent he is the leader – he has been leading on the pitch and off". His strengths as a leader gave the board full confidence that he was up to the task, arguing that his age is no impediment, "if the person has the ability, age doesn’t matter",

The slash in costs that has been seen at City since the Supporter’s Trust took over has not brought them out of danger just yet. McGill told nouse that after their take over the Trust found the books in a worse state than had ever been admitted to by Craig, "you keep turning over stones and things keep jumping out at you", consequently the loss making position has not yet been fully resolved at City.

After the leaving of so many of City’s first squad due to financial considerations, the performance of last season will be difficult to repeat, survival into a secure fututre will have to be pursued over silverware, McGill admitted, "finances are a key consideration … we’ve got a commitment to the fans".