A few of our favourite films

Since some of the regular contributors to the film section graduate this year, we give them the opportunity to tell you which films have been the best distractions from their degrees

Sarah Linsley
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
Jim Jarmusch, USA, 2000
Simply the best paced film ever made and with an incredible and incredibly fitting soundtrack by the Wu-Tang Clan. Okay so it’s not everyday you see a black samurai hitman but suspend disbelief, you’ll be amazed.
Amélie
Jean-Pierre Jeunet, France, 2001
Because every time I see this I want to be in it, or at the very least move to Paris. And because it manages to be good and moving and all those things without being clever-clever. And it makes me happy, even on the nth viewing.Nueve Reinas
Fabian Bielinsky
Argentina, 2000
The smartest film I’ve seen in a very long time. A con man and his apprentice find the nine queens: a very rare sheet of stamps from which they can make a fortune, if only they can hang on to them

Lydia Wysocki
Jackass: The Movie
Jeff Tremaine and Spike Jonze, USA, 2002
Hilarious. Socially and cinematically significant: a bunch of slacker skaters make home videos of daft stunts, get a MTV show, become too extreme for MTV, get a feature film. It’s not the decline of Western civilization, it’s not morally degenerate. It’s funny.
Irréversible
Gaspar Noé, France, 2002
Powerful, shocking, intense. A rational study of the hysteria surrounding the public debate about rape. Structurally excellent: crescendo of lighting and a narrative which moves beyond the initial ‘ooh look, it’s backwards’ cleverness of Memento.
Donnie Darko
Richard Kelly, USA, 2001
Play ‘spot the 80s reference’, dream about Jake Gyllenhall, Noah Wyle and James Stewart. No, wait, that’s just me. Yummy.

Tara Spinks
Ghost World
Terry Zwigoff, USA, 2000
Based on a comic book, sorry graphic novel, this film captures the world of the teenage girl to perfection. Enid (Thora Birch) could have been a girl at my school: she’s self-absorbed, and self-consciously kooky, but i still think she’s great!
À la folie… pas du tout
Laetitia Colombani, France, 2002
A really wonderful film about obsession and love. Audrey Tautou uses her sweet Amélie persona to chilling effect. She’s in love with a doctor, and he is in love with her… or is he?
The Hours
Steven Daldry, USA. 2002
It’s not often a book makes the jump from page to screen so successfully. This is a really moving film, which is worth seeing even if you prefer dead fish to Virginia Woolf.