News In Brief

"Not in Our Name", a documentary film following York Students Against the War (York SAW) was recently screened in a packed auditorium at York’s City Screen cinema.
Independent filmmaker Anton Short from Wide Eyed Productions produced the documentary. It followed the activities of York SAW over the course of six months, culminating in the massive demonstration in London on February 15th.
Rowan Walker, featured in the film, said, "it was a reminder of the incredible effort and energy that went into opposing the war; it was incredibly moving." The film, she added, "records the largest and most diverse social movement of modern times."

Concern over the Halifax Zebra crossing has been voiced by local taxi drivers, arguing that the ‘bid to improve pedestrian safety’ has in fact compounded the risk. Poor lighting still dominates Heslington Lane, with hedgerows encroaching on either side, the visibility of crossing students is still close to none. The replacement of the original traffic calmer is widely believed to have been a cost-cutting measure in place of better street lighting that would actually solve the problem.

Tom Connor accidentally secured his release from slavery this week. The online auctioneers ebay had him on sale for £1.20, and Conner, keen to raise his price bid over £100. Administrators were concerned by this sudden increase in price and examined the lot in detail. On realising that a human was for sale the plug was quickly pulled as it contravened their rules.

York came in seventh and eighth in the Times and FT university league tables respectively this year. The Times also rated York top for teaching and it maintains its position as the best northern university.

York security manager Ken Batten had his briefcase stolen from his car at a conference in Birmingham University. There is speculation among university porters that it contained secret documents relating to campus three.

Mark ‘Lego’ Clegg, is a very lucky boy and will be spending the day in the company of the tan meister himself David ‘The Duke” Dickinson, as he demonstrates his student eye for picking out a bargain on the daytime cult series ‘Bargain Hunt’.